The all-new Ford Focus Active crossover introduces SUV-inspired versatility to the confidence-inspiring, intuitive, and rewarding all-new Focus driving experience. Available in spacious five-door hatchback and wagon body styles with rugged exterior styling, the Ford Focus Active features raised ride-height and a bespoke chassis configuration to retain class-leading Focus driving dynamics while delivering enhanced rough-road ability and a higher driving position for more confident urban and highway driving. The active lifestyles of Europe’s growing numbers of SUV and crossover customers are further supported by the addition of bespoke Slippery and Trail modes to the Focus Active’s Selectable Drive Modes, and standard roof rails to help carry bicycles or sports equipment. Sophisticated powertrain options include Ford’s powerful and fuel efficient 1.0-litre EcoBoost and 1.5-litre EcoBoost petrol engines delivering up to 182 PS, and Ford’s 1.5-litre EcoBlue and 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel engines delivering up to 150 PS – combined with six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic transmissions.
Equipped as standard in five-door and wagon body styles with Ford’s sophisticated short long arm (SLA) independent rear suspension configuration, the Ford Focus Active chassis features unique springs, dampers, stabiliser bars, and front and rear knuckle geometries, alongside a ride height raised 30 mm front and 34 mm rear over the standard Focus. The SLA system optimises comfort and response, and features an isolated subframe that delivers a desirable balance between front and rear compliance over larger bumps in the road, for smoother journeys. Multi-compound bushes feature different stiffness characteristics when stressed in different directions, for better isolation of smaller bumps and improved noise, vibration and harshness. A unique SLA geometry for the Ford Focus Active Wagon repositions the dampers helping the vehicle remain agile and responsive even with a fully loaded boot, and helping maximise boot space with a wider load-floor area.
For improved rough road ride and durability, 17-inch alloy wheels are fitted with higher-profile 215/55 R17 tyres; 18-inch wheels with 215/50 R18 tyres are also available. In addition to the Normal, Sport and Eco Selectable Drive Modes equipped as standard for all Focus models, the Focus Active introduces:
- Slippery mode, which adjusts ESC and traction control settings for increased confidence on surfaces with reduced grip such as mud, snow and ice; reduces straight-ahead wheel spin, including when pulling away from stationary; and delivers a more passive throttle response
- Trail mode, which helps maintain momentum on soft surfaces such as sand; adjusts anti-lock braking to allow greater wheel slip; configures traction control to allow higher wheel spin that cleans sand, snow or mud from the tyres; and delivers a more passive throttle response
Unique styling details deliver a distinctive, versatile and rugged character for the Ford Focus Active inside and out. A dark grille with unique mesh pattern features a dark surround, echoed by the protective cladding that flows from the front bumper lip, through the wheel arches and side profile to the rear. Front and rear bumper designs are also unique to the Focus Active variant, as are silver-finish front and rear skid plates, and alloy wheel designs. Vibrant paint colours include new Metropolis White and Orange Glow, and customers can also opt for a contrast colour roof depending on body colour. The all-new Focus delivers more interior space supported by a more than 50 mm longer wheelbase (compared to outgoing model) and flat floor. Front seat occupants enjoy generous shoulder room of 1,421 mm, and instrument panel positioning is optimised for greater space. A narrower centre console, electric parking brake and rotary gear shift dial for the eight-speed automatic transmission also free up more space for the driver and front passenger.
The all-new Ford Focus Active delivers the comprehensive range of sophisticated driver assistance technologies introduced to the all-new Focus earlier this year. Advanced technologies seamlessly integrated to enable an intuitive, stress-reducing and refined driving experience include:
- Adaptive Cruise Control, which now enhanced with Stop & Go, Speed Sign Recognition and Lane-Centring for effortlessly negotiating stop-start traffic
- Ford’s Adaptive Front Lighting System with new camera-based Predictive curve light and Sign-based light that pre-adjust headlamp patterns for improved visibility by monitoring bends in the road and – for the first time in the industry – road signs
- Active Park Assist 2, which now also operates gear selection, acceleration and braking to enable fully-automated manoeuvres at the push of a button
- Ford’s first Head-up display to be offered in Europe, helping drivers focus their attention on the road ahead
- Evasive Steering Assist, a segment-first technology that helps drivers steer around stopped or slower vehicles to help avoid collisions
Ford Focus Active customers can choose from a range of advanced Ford EcoBoost petrol and Ford EcoBlue diesel engines delivering optimised power and refinement. Powertrains are supported by standard Auto Start-Stop for reduced running costs; and slick-shifting six-speed manual or new eight-speed automatic transmissions for effortless cruising. The sophisticated eight-speed automatic adapts to different driving styles to offer optimised gear changes. Ford’s multi-award-winning 125 PS 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine delivers from 107 g/km CO2 emissions and 4.8 l/100 km fuel efficiency. Ford’s 150 PS 1.5-litre EcoBoost engine delivers from 121 g/km and 5.3 l/100 km. Ford’s 120 PS 1.5-litre EcoBlue diesel engine delivers from 93 g/km and 3.5 l/100 km. Ford’s 150 PS 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel engine delivers from 114 g/km and 4.4 l/100 km.